Gender inequality; a stereotype turned social evil…

Often these days, we hear many things about crimes against women. Acid attacks, murders, sexual assaults, even honour killings are done against women. When we read this, the first emotion which crosses the mind is anger, not seep sorrow. To be honest, I actually did visualize the criminals of such heinous crimes receiving stringent punishment. People’s minds often go with emotion first, the logic next. Then we experience sorrow and regret and we get a tiny feeling; “Arrey Bhagwan! If I was there, I would’ve been able to do something, may God bless her soul…”

Then we come to the logical reasoning. “okay, so the unfortunate happened, I just can’t go back in time to prevent it now, unfortunately. Well, what can I do?” as they say, “prevention is better than cure” so instead of finding a cure to this malaise, we can try our level best in preventing this to happen. And the best we can do is provide awareness. We, the future of our country and the world must start promoting the fact that everyone is equal and free. It ain’t enough if it is just in the books. We must have our part in spreading it practically. EVERYONE SHOULD BE TREATED EQUALLY

And the first thing is talking about freedom. Women were fighting for many aeons for their freedom and equality. But they were denied rights. To be honest, I was taught in my second class that, “girls love pink, black and boys love red and blue. Girls are weak and boys are strong. Girls play with Barbie dolls, while boys play with fast cars and guns, etc. and so on.” Initially, I didn’t know about this but, as I grew, so did my thought process. Girls can do anything, be anything, just like boys. Off the records, I used to watch Barbie with my cousin sister, and she used to play with power ranger toys. Well, that is one best thing we were taught in our childhood. Both of us are equal. Not only as siblings but also as humans. I realize that now.


since the olden days of yore, girls were always kept like a tigress in the zoo. Seriously, though they were strong, they were made to sit at the home, cook, etc. that is why there are only a very few queens in India, whom you can count on fingertips. They weren’t made to unlock their full potential. Even now, I still can’t understand why is it a taboo for girls to become a homemaker, sit inside homes, knit things, sew clothes, cook, etc. thank god society is developing due to education.

One more thing is that people seriously do grow suspicious when a girl talks to a boy or a boy talks to a girl. What the hell? Humans are talking to humans…moreover, it’s their choice! Why are you peeping in their affairs? I have many friends among girls, till my school. But when it comes to my college, the campuses are separate, boys aren’t allowed to talk to girls, girls don’t even lift their heads to see boys properly. If there is anything to talk about, it must be done outside the college. For this, I would like to say something, “not every boy flirts, not every girl is too gullible, and some idiot rowdy boys must learn to behave. Whistles, high pitched sounds, all those are monkey habits.” There are some monkeys in my class, chimpanzees, baboons, gorillas, orangutans, trust me, one can find them in my class.

and yeah I’ve been wanting to ask my male readers, are periods a bad thing? Is it so repulsive that people can’t discuss it openly? Well, if a man can bleed once a month and still be normal about it, then I take back all I said about their greatness. Cause, it is just a biological process, nothing more. When the goddess bleeds in Khamakhya temple, it is a divinity, but when women do so, it is a revulsion.

What is the difference between the mother goddess and the ordinary woman? Both give life. both should be treated as equals then. The only difference I guess is that women roam the earth in the form of mothers, sister, wives and friends, while goddesses are seen in paintings and idols. So, they deserve to be treated equally.

And girls are free to wear what they like, roam wherever they wish to and be however they want, do whatever they want to do. The only thing I, as a citizen wishes for is to see a country wherein girls are free to roam. We live in a country where, girls are neither safe in the womb, nor outside it… I want to change this. Just let them be. Why restrict them?

Instead of restricting girls, try educating all the people. And when I say all, I MEAN ALL! Both boys and girls included. Everyone NEEDS to know how to treat others, talk to others and respect others. Then, we will truly see a Ramarajya.

This is Pranav Sameer…signing off :)

*(had to write this in a cut-short manner as the original article was accidentally gone and I had to write this entire thing in a span of half an hour.)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Femininity is divinity...

change- a fundamental phenomenon.